Boyhood.



There are many films out there, so when I am deciding what to watch I am quite selective (much to the chagrin of those who are in my company for my search).  My process of selection begins with checking the reviews on The International Movie Database, followed immediately by evaluating the length of the movies.  Make no mistake, so of movies regarded most highly by myself, and fellow critics are much longer than a standard 90 minute flick.  Pretty much anything by Stanley Kubrick, Ridley Scott and often Steven Spielberg will push their films to double that!  But these masters of direction have earned my respect to grant them my attention for that period of time without much hesitation.  Everybody else has to get in line.

Boyhood was an exceptional movie.  In saying that I do not mean that I found it exceptionally good per se, but that I found it stands out as rare film.  After doing my due diligence, I decided that I would risk the 165-minute film, despite how vague the plot seemed to be.  I read words like, "Epic," and "An amazing journey," and I found those descriptors to be almost true.

Boyhood was epic in the sense of how it was filmed.  The plot follows a boy named Mason from the ages of seven to nineteen.  What is epic about the movie is that the actor (Ellar Coltrane) is actually filmed from those ages over a 12 year period! All of the cast was brought together without being bound contractually, to film multiple short films over a 12-year span in order for Boyhood to come to life.  The effect you are given is a shockingly real film about real life as a boy goes through puberty and grows into a man.

As amazing as the realistic nature of this movie is, that is also what has made exceptional, but underwhelming.  It was very cool to watch the players age in real time, however I felt that much like real life, the movie was kind of uneventful.  Sure, there were great moments of tension, sadness, aggression.  However they were generally so realistic that I might as well be watching a mildly interesting argument in person.

I find Boyhood to be an exceptional film because by the end of it I was pleased by the journey, but left with no urge for a return viewing.  It was very groundbreaking in the style and reality of the passage of time.  Ultimately, I was nonplussed by the vague outcome and the general lack of closure.  I feel like we need closure in a lot of ways from movies, though there are some that are good for the lack of closure.  This film however, lacked any kind of direction or closure for me.  Though it was interesting to watch, I can't say that I got anything out of it other than an appreciation for the idea that people were that dedicated to putting together a very well-made and realistic movie.  Thanks for the effort!

                                                               3 1/2 out of 5   ðŸŒ ðŸŒ ðŸŒ ⭐✩

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deadpool 2.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

The 'Burbs.